Dripping Rock - June 20, 2018

Hiking Tip

Decide who sets the pace before you head out.  Our general stance is that the slowest person sets the pace.  We try to make sure we adjust the hike choice for those who join us.  If you're way out of shape, we choose a shorter one with less vertical gain.  And we plan on that hike being about the beauty and the company.  But I'm also part of a hiking group that says upfront that each hike will be at a quick pace.  It's up to the individual hiker to know if they can keep up and to know that the group won't wait for them.  If you want to start with the group, but can't keep up, they'll see you on the way back down.  I don't think that's an unkind stance, as long as they're upfront about it.  Make sure you're all on the same page before you head out, so that everyone is happy afterward. 😊


To call this a hike is very generous.  It's mostly a stroll.  But it's a pretty one!  And one my family and I like going back to.  It's also a great beginner trail.

The trail is part of the Spanish Fork River Trail, a trail that's about 6 miles and travels around and through Spanish Fork.  It's paved and used a lot by runners, cyclists, and walkers.  But we're not talking about that.

We're talking about Dripping Rock.  On AllTrails it's called Dripping Rock Falls.  Again, very generous.  It's water that runs down all the time, but I wouldn't call it a waterfall.  But I still think it's worth visiting.

We hit this trail right after we left our Maple Canyon to Whiting Campground hike.  Since this one is very easy, and the other one was relatively so, we decided we could easily do both in the same morning, even with the kids.

It was about 9:30 am when we got there.  This is a very popular spot, so I'd advise going on a weekday.

So, parking.  I hear there's an actual trail sign and such on the other side of the road (through the tunnel), but I've never gone there.  I just start at the parking lot across from the Spanish Oaks Golf Course clubhouse.  That's where we started.

Spanish Oaks Golf Course clubhouse.  We parked across from there.
I've read in some reviews that this parking lot isn't always open.  I've got no advice on where to park other than here, because I've never had to park anywhere else.  If you do, and want to share your info to help others, please let me know.

The trail heads off to the east(ish) from the parking lot.  If you go the other direction you'll end up on the golf cart trail.  If you see lots of very green grass, you've gone the wrong way.

The trail goes through a few pretty trees at the beginning.  Then it opens up to the sun.  There are lots of trees and the river on your left and a rock barricade on your right (kind of a wall of piled rocks with fencing around it to keep it all together). 

My kids thought these were great to walk on!

Behind that barricade is a small mountain that looks like it has small rock slides somewhat regularly.  In the distance are some bigger, prettier mountains.  (I've really got to learn the names of all these mountains.)



It's almost exactly a third of a mile from the parking lot to the spot you want.  Super easy.  With one exception.  When you get to the dripping rock part (which you can see from the trail), you have to head off the paved path and down a kind of steep trail.  Probably 10-15 feet.  The first few steps are the trickiest, as you get to the boulders.  They help the rest of the way.  But there's a tree to the right that we held onto.  It made getting down much easier.  And getting up when you're done isn't nearly as tough.

The paved path follows the river, so when you get to Dripping Rock, you are basically just climbing down the river bank so you can see it in all its glory. And play too!!

See that tree on the left?  You're going to want to hold onto that as you start.  Kind of steep with loose dirt.
It's truly lovely when you get there.  And every time I've been there the river was calm enough to play in.  I imagine when the first hot days after winter hit, it might run too fast as the snow melts and the water heads down, but that's just a guess.  I haven't even been there then.

It was a cool day (which is probably why no one else was there).  I thought the cooler temps would keep the kids out of the water.  I was sad about that, since playing in the water there is half the fun.  I was wrong.  Their play in the water was limited, because it is very cold.  But they did play, and I think they had a great time.

They did and they are already asking me when we can go back!

Lots of rock hopping and boulder climbing.  It kept them happy a long time.
But the river isn't why we went.  We went for the dripping rocks.  Katy hadn't been there before.  I'd talked it up quite a bit, because my family and I had such a great time when we'd gone.  When we first got there, I kind of felt like Katy was underwhelmed.  What?! Maybe I talked it up too much.  Nope. I always appreciate it when people get excited about . . . well about anything! I do think it grew on her as her kids had more fun in the water.  And I think it's much more fun on a 90* day than a 70* morning.  This is why we went:





My video can't do it justice.  It's super pretty.  I'm guessing it's fed by runoff, but that's just a guess.  

One of the things kids seem to enjoy, that I did when I went before as well, is to climb in behind the dripping water.  And almost everyone seems to go over and feel the water as it comes down.  That makes this a better "waterfall" for young kids than lots of others.  The bigger ones usually have too much force for young kids to really play in.  This gives them that chance.

Because he's just that tough!
You have to feel the waterfall.  Because you just do.

No big adventures or exciting happenings on this hike.  It was just a pleasant, pretty stroll and some relaxing by the river as the kids played.  I highly recommend everyone go here at least once.

Me too! The fact that it is easy and close is just a bonus!

Trail Info

*  Difficulty:1/10*.  Super short and easy on the paved trail.  * But the hill you go down to actually get to the water is probably more like a 3/10.  Short, but kind of steep and on loose dirt in a short section.
*  Popularity:  Moderate.  More so on a hot day.
*  No bathrooms
*  Stroller friendly
*  Very child friendly, as long as you can get them down the hill.  Our kids made it without too much trouble.

How to Get There

From Springville - Head south on Main Street.  When the road forks just past 500 South, take the right fork that goes out and around toward Mapleton.  This puts you on Highway 89, headed south.  Stay on this road for about 4 miles.  Turn right onto 2400 East, which almost immediately crosses a railroad track.  Stay on this road for just under a mile.  You'll cross another railroad track just before you come to Highway 6.  Turn left onto Highway 6.  In about half a mile, turn right onto Powerhouse Road.  The parking lot we used is about 1000 feet down the road on your left, across from the golf course clubhouse.

From other places - Take the freeway toward Spanish Fork.  Take exit 257 A-B.  Head toward Price on Highway 6.  Stay on Highway 6 for 4.1 miles.  Turn turn right onto Powerhouse Road.  The parking lot we used is about 1000 feet down the road on your left, across from the golf course clubhouse.




Comments

Popular Posts